Commercial Advisor - Houston, TX
The Commercial Advisor is responsible for the execution of customer onboarding activities related to becoming enabled to do business Shell Energy Americas entities, which may include Shell Energy North America (US), L.P., Shell Trading Risk Management, LLC, and Shell Trading Mexico S. De R.L. De C.V., (collectively referred to as “Shell” herein.). The Commercial Advisor activities support enabling trading relationships with new customers, supporting the day-to-day contracting needs of existing customers, and maintaining Shell’s license to operate through compliance with established policies and procedures. The Commercial Advisor works in collaboration with Sales & Origination, Credit, Legal, Compliance and other Shell functions to ensure fit for purpose contracts and trading documentation are timely completed before trading activities can begin.
- The Commercial Advisor provides commercially focused pre-deal, contracting and contractual advice in line with Shell Trading & Supply policies and guidelines. The Commercial Advisor is responsible for the management of the entire trading contracts process from the provision of pre-deal commercial advice to contract drafting, internal authorization and dispatch of contracts and responses.
- The Commercial Advisor identifies risks associated with enabling agreements, complex transaction confirmations and other contracts related to Shell Energy's marketing and trading activities, and works with internal and external stakeholders to negotiate contracts that minimize these risks to Shell.
- A Commercial Advisor is expected to possess a comprehensive knowledge of energy markets in North America and be proficient in negotiating industry standard master enabling agreements, such as the ISDA, NAESB and EEI.
- The Commercial Advisor will draft, dispatch and negotiate each contract until executed and act as the primary focal point for customer interface during the contract negotiation process. The Commercial Advisor works in close collaboration with Sales & Origination team and obtains requisite input from internal stakeholders, such as Credit, Finance, Tax, Legal, Regulatory and Compliance. When contract negotiation is complete, the Commercial Advisor further ensures that all necessary approvals for the execution of contracts are obtained in compliance with Shell Trading & Supply policies and maintains contract records in accordance with Shell record retention polices and external regulatory requirements.
Country of Work Location
City, State (if applicable)
Houston - One Thousand Main
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
- Must have legal right to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Three (3) or more years working experience in drafting, analysis and negotiation of contracts related to the purchase and sale of energy commodities (physical gas & power, environmental products), and swaps and options in energy commodities. Preference will be given to those with experience drafting and negotiating ISDA EEI, NAESB and related contract documentation. An awareness of Dodd Frank requirements relating to onboarding and contracting, is a plus.
- Experience in negotiating ISDA’s, Master Swap Agreement or other contract related to financial derivatives, is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Law or equivalent practical experience is required. Prior experience in the energy marketing and trading industry preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proven interpersonal and contract negotiation skills, as well as strong reading comprehension and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage a heavy workload, meet deadlines with a sense of urgency, while maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Ability to explain contract terms and their intent. Skilled at influencing customers to agree to Shell’s preferred terms and recognizing when compromise will not expose Shell to additional risk.
- Demonstrated mature judgment and adherence to company and regulatory guidelines. Ability to be self-motivated and capable of working autonomously.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment to a team-based working environment to enhance customer satisfaction and building positive customer relationships.
- Problem solving is key to success in this position, and examples of required work skills are:
- Proven ability to select the best course of action from multiple, defined options.
- Proven ability to exercise judgment and make recommendations based on analysis and subject-matter expertise.
- Proven ability to research and interpret information and to act proactively to develop knowledge of the business and its contracts.
No. of Positions