The Company is seeking applicants for our Finance Manager position based in New York. The Finance Manager position has significant autonomy and responsibility for managing the finance team at the site and will report to the CEO.
General Job Description
Under the general direction of the CEO, this position will:
- Be responsible for managing the accounting, budgeting, accounts receivable and payables, costing, and inventory activities for trading operations.
- Provide consistent financial reporting and analysis to management, support staff, and team members.
- Develop and maintain strong internal controls, assist with monthly closings and account analysis and support the General Manager in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department.
Qualifications – Education/Certification/Experience
The controller candidate will have a four-year Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 7+ years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in an agricultural environment. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations. The candidate must be eligible to work unrestricted in the U.S. without company sponsorship to be considered for this position and have the ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Develop and prepare annual, quarterly and monthly accounting reports, budgets and forecasts for management to understand and review performance against goals and objectives.
- Prepare standard, recurring, and adjustment journal entries for cash, A/R & A/P, inventory, prepaid and accrual expenses, payroll, financing activities and support documentation for the general ledger system.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for all companies.
- Maintain and control the chart of accounts for all companies and meet responsibility reporting requirements.
- Review reports for variances, trends & current financial position. Analyze monthly financials and budget variances and prepare monthly variance report. Insure that all of our accounting systems and processes meet business and regulatory requirements and look for ways to improve the accuracy, efficiency and work flow.
- Assist in the development, preparation and maintenance of the fiscal/annual budgets for department areas.
- Maintain fixed asset systems on a monthly basis, accounting for acquisitions, transfers, and disposals for all companies.
- Assist in the maintenance of the inventory and cost accounting systems.
- Prepare and provide proper financial information to the outside accounting firms and banks for reporting requirements.
- Assist with the development of new policies and procedures and provide input to continuously improve accounting processes and procedures.
- Provide accounting guidance to the owners or other team members on financial related questions and concerns.
- Provide data upon request to the CEO and Trading Manager to support their functions.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with minimum seven years of experience preferably in the agriculture industry.
- Outstanding communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Proficient with MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with fully-integrated accounting system.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and other relevant accounting statements.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to “think on your feet”.
- The ability to work well with all levels of team members on financial issues.
- Functional expertise to insure that guidance offered is accurate and consistent for management and support staff.
- Ability to analyze, investigate and resolve issues while maintaining accuracy, timeliness, and data integrity.
- Ability to multi-task and to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish/maintain productive working relationships with staff, management and other departments to effectively carry out job duties.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret data and recognize trends.
- Maintain proper confidentiality for all accounting and company information.