The Company is seeking a top-notch Freight Transportation Specialist to join our Transportation Team. This position will be based from one of our offices in the above listed cities.
The ideal candidate has a background moving bulk grain loads and comes to us with a solid carrier portfolio. We’re looking for someone who understands how to move freight, negotiate rates, and really understands the process from start to finish. Candidates with freight brokerage experience in the Bulk Grain Industry are encouraged to apply. This key position requires a high energy individual with a positive attitude – someone adaptable and excited about the opportunity to contribute to our evolving business practices.
We maintain a true team atmosphere through on-going communication and collaboration. We offer competitive compensation, tremendous growth & development opportunities, and a people-first work environment.
As the Freight Transportation Specialist, you will supply multi-modal logistics solutions and support our marketing efforts in your region:
- Effectively manage and ship all assigned loads via rail, truck, barge, container, and intermodal.
- Maintain order and shipping information using internal software
- Track and trace loads for pick-up and delivery
- Proactively manage and communicate transportation issues to the Marketing Team
- Source carriers within different modes and continually develop a working carrier base
- Build rapport and maintain relationships with a large number of carriers
- Negotiate freight rates
- Provide rates and resources for freight moves in a timely manner
- Work closely with the Marketing Team to understand the regions and ensure customers’ needs are met
- Analyze rates & capacity and offer solutions for better overall service and freight savings
- Track carrier service levels
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service
- Continually analyze and provide opportunities/strategies for improving/enhancing processes and systems
- Provide current cost and market analysis relative to freight and commodities
- Provide back up and support to the Transportation Team
- Promote company name and reputation
- Understand & comply with documentation requirements for international movement of commodities crossing borders
- Understand & comply with documentation requirements for exporting of commodities
- Assume virtual ownership for all freight demurrage and despatch. Conduct all analysis of demurrage incurred and proactively propose solutions to avoid future demurrage.
- Conduct analysis to determine optimal strategic assignment of rail assets to maximize returns.
- Interact with other managers to identify opportunities to create value within the supply chain, including backhaul opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Logistics preferred or equivalent experience required
- Min. 5 years of experience in Transportation and Logistics, preferably in the Agricultural Industry
- Thorough working knowledge of domestic freight operations, truck and rail shipping rules, and transportation system utilization
- Commodity Transportation experience considered an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact with employees at all levels within the organization and with outside vendors
- Demonstrated problem-solving and superior customer service skills
- Competitive salary & comprehensive benefits package