S&P Global Platts
The Role: Editor, Oil News
The Location: New York
The Team: You’ll work with the Americas associate editorial director and other regional oil news and markets managers, as well as freelancers. The oil news team members work closely together in what can be a fast-paced environment.
The Impact: Maintain Platts' high journalistic standards as you produce well-written analysis and features on oil supply and demand that meet our news strategy guidelines.
What’s in it for you: You’ll bring 5-8 years of SME experience to create analysis using commodity prices, along with real-time news, feature and enterprise stories on a wide array of topics such as economic, finance, and regulatory issues, as well as coverage of specific entities: companies, governments and other organizations. This senior role serves as a Platts market expert on the midstream and downstream oil sectors.
- Leverages 5-8 years of senior experience to add value to content created by reporters/editors, to ensure content addresses the most appropriate market realities, including pricing context and graphics where applicable
- Reports/writes in-depth data-driven enhanced news and insight for Platts’ real-time alert services. Covers real-time news events for the alert services, files alert stories from conferences and other industry events, files stories that have good spelling, grammar and style structure, covers breaking news
- Produces comprehensive well-written multi-sourced enterprise stories for various Platts publications. Expands depth of stories through thorough, diligent research. Develops thorough line of questions around an issue or story. Follows news strategy guidelines on readership needs. Achieves publishing exclusivity (scoops)
- Establishes understanding of readership needs, contributes to digital media activities (i.e. blogs, podcasts, twitter, etc)
- Develops and maintains an extensive industry source base, identifying sources that are key to reporting beat. Establishes, maintains and nurtures key sources and maintains a source list that can be shared and leveraged across the organization.
- Capitalizes on knowledge of beat and related companies/market benchmarks to conduct in-depth research of beat area (market angles, regulation and other key topics) and leverages that information in terms of publishing productivity. Has excellent knowledge of key companies in beat area and contacts at those companies. Develops diverse information sources (including documents; third tier sources etc) and a strong ability to interpret information from various documents (i.e. financial statements).
- Recognized as a beat expert internally and externally
What We’re Looking For:
- BA degree in journalism and approximately 8 years of reporting and writing experience; or a graduate ; or a in journalism, business, economics or finance; with 5 year of reporting and writing experience.
- An advanced understanding of the oil market, from crude to products, encompassing supply/demand fundamentals and pricing
- Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. Has the ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally. Ability to provide a detailed and accurate review of peers work showing good judgment and to express, both positive and negative comments. Support changes to methodology/approach.
- Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs and deadlines issued by multiple managing editors.
- Has excellent research and analytical capabilities with the capability of locating and interpreting a variety of information including regulatory, legal and corporate documents
- Displays a continuous learning development orientation, seeking to learn about new issues that impact beat area and constantly seeking to find answers to questions.
- Possesses basic computer and keyboarding skills including a basic understanding of Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on more than one adjacent market.
- Ability to build trust, respect and rapport and is adept at serving as a coach to peers or working as a peer advisor within the organization.
- Multilingual capabilities a plus
About S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with conviction. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.