Would you like to be a part of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) commitment to cleaning the power system, helping customers make cleaner energy choices, modernizing the electrical grid, and achieving excellence?
About Our Team…
Energy Procurement & Management (EP&M) ensures that our customers have enough electricity to meet their needs, through the output of SCE-owned generation plants and purchase of electricity from independent generators. We engage in multi-year contracts from both traditional and renewable generators, and conduct day-ahead and real-time trading to serve our customers’ electricity demands.
You will reside in our Trading and Marketing Operations group within the EP&M organization which manages SCE’s $4+ billion/year power resource portfolio. You will have responsibility of working collaboratively with other Energy Traders developing, handling, and implementing SCE’s complex physical and financial energy portfolio while satisfying internal and external compliance policies and regulatory obligations. Additionally, you will develop a deep understanding of the components of SCE’s energy portfolio – natural gas, resource adequacy, and emissions positions – and their respective trading strategies. Although you will have no direct reports, you will serve as a mentor the other Trading team members. You will also be responsible for making strategic, tactical trading, and risk management decisions every day.
Your Typical Responsibilities and Areas of Focus Will Include…
- Develop and seek SCE senior and executive level management approval of trading strategies for SCE’s financial and physical power exposures.
- Analyze and measure effectiveness of existing strategies, processes, methods, tools and products to determine improvements, enhancements and efficiencies.
- Evaluate how the analysis of supply and demand fundamentals impact our overall power procurement strategy.
- Execute and handle short and intermediate-term (up to 18 months) physical and financial power transactions and is responsible for ensuring key commercial terms and pricing with counterparties are achieved.
- Support natural gas, emissions, and resource adequacy procurement activities, as necessary.
- Build external business relationships with counterparties, generators, marketers, and brokers.
- Build internal business relationships with leadership, Directors and Principal Managers, to ensure effective trading strategies for natural gas, power, resource adequacy and emissions trading are implemented.
- Ensure the accurate and appropriate responses to data requests and reports for regulators (e.g., California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), Quarterly Compliance Reporting, Energy Resources Recovery Account, and Long Term Procurement Plan).
- Mentor and support professional development opportunities for members of the Trading and Energy Operations teams.
- Promote and support a culture of personal development, feedback, and continuous improvement.
Qualifications you will need…
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in functions related to energy markets, energy trading, commodity trading or financial risk management.
- Three (3) or more years of experience with Microsoft Excel performing advanced functions such as sorting data, filtering data, data validation, utilizing VLookups, crafting charts and graphs, and Pivot Tables in Microsoft Excel.
Other skills and qualifications that are a plus …
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Economics, Finance, Business or other related discipline.
- Five (5) or more years of experience with operational planning, trading, and/or analysis of energy portfolios in deregulated wholesale power markets.
- Strong knowledge of the Western power markets and Western Electricity Coordinating Council topography.
- Experience trading/scheduling natural gas on SoCalGas and/or El Paso Natural Gas pipeline systems.
- In-depth understanding of the operating rules and regulatory requirements of California energy and emissions markets, including knowledge of California Independent System Operator, CPUC, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and California Air Resources Board.
- Experience with Energy Trading & Risk Management systems (e.g. Endur).
- Strong leadership, communication, presentation, and negotiating skills to build consensus with stakeholders to develop and maintain partnerships with support organizations and senior management.
- Self-driven and able to work well in a team environment.
You should know …
- You are legally authorized to work directly as employee for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- The primary work location for this position is Rosemead, CA
- We offer a fantastic Total Rewards Package that includes things like a wide selection of health plans, preventative health reimbursement, 401(k) savings plan with company match and automatic company contributions, tuition reimbursement, professional development, volunteer programs, employee assistance program, electric service discount, and many more perks.
The people here at Edison don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We are fueling the kind of innovation that is changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. You’ll have a chance to grow your career and make a difference in the world.
SCE serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. As a company, we have big dreams and we know nothing big is ever accomplished alone. Join one of the nation’s leading electric utilities in making sure California, and all of us who live here, shine bright.
At SCE we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.