Date: May 6, 2019
Location: CO - Denver, US, 80202
Location(s): CO - Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
The Gas Buyer/Trader is responsible for the daily and long-term gas purchasing activities for Xcel Energy required to ensure acquisition of reliable natural gas supply to the Lipan Distribution Center and various power plants in the Xcel Energy fleet, including PPA's for which we buy gas. This is a critical position within the Gas Supply organization. This resource is the front line contact between gas suppliers, gas pipelines, gas control, Real Time dispatch and power plants. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the gas is properly accounted for in our transaction management system in order to ensure accurate payments to our suppliers and to maintain data integrity for our various cost recovery filings with state regulators. Please note: this position is also required to perform after hours on-call duties.
Responsible for the buying/selling of natural gas supply for the regulated assets of Xcel Energy. Actively participates in the natural gas commodity market, including the use of financial derivatives and physical supply agreements. Coordinates the transportation scheduling, contract administration and invoice payment for the gas supply that is purchased or sold. Ensures that the Company acquires adequate quantities of reliable gas supplies at competitive prices, consistent with the purchase plans and transportation agreements of the various operating companies.
- Implements the daily, annual and long-range gas supply plans for the regulated operating companies within Xcel. Negotiates full range of gas purchase agreements with wellhead producers, energy brokers and marketers to satisfy the $2 billion/yr. gas supply requirements of the Company.
- Coordinates the scheduling of the gas purchased for each operating company ensuring that an adequate supply of gas is delivered to satisfy the daily and hourly requirements of each operating entity in the most economical fashion.
- Continuously monitors and participates in the financial trading markets. Keeps appraised of market movements, supply opportunities and electric market transactions allowing for the development or revision of purchasing plans or trading strategies. Optimizes transportation and storage assets through arbitrage for the benefit of customers.
- Negotiates financial transactions, including derivatives, for the purpose of short term and long term hedging natural gas price exposure for both retail gas and electric customers.
- Develops and negotiates gas supply sales agreements associated with electric trading transactions. Is responsible for the development and implementation of gas supply trading strategies to maximize the profitability and minimize the fuel cost of the Company’s generation assets.
- Monitors and tracks the accounting operations and contract administration functions within the assigned geographic region for the gas supply purchased or sold. Maintains thorough and accurate documentation of all commodity transactions for regulatory agencies. Verifies that all necessary documentation associated with the gas supply agreements and/or risk management activities are completed in a satisfactory manner. Responsible for developing and maintaining communications with the Xcel’s list of qualified suppliers. Ensures that Xcel maintains a highly visible presence in the gas acquisition and trading industry within North America.
- Provide regulatory support for the operating companies fuel reconciliation proceedings with the respective commissions as necessary
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of natural gas industry experience is required.
- A combination of at least 6 years of relevant experience and education will be considered in lieu of the degree requirement.
- Minimum of 3 years of natural gas industry experience is required.
- Extensive knowledge and in-depth understanding of gas markets, the interstate pipeline networks, gas transportation & storage contracts, FERC regulations, and negotiation strategies is required.
- Previous experience in a gas controller or gas transportation-scheduler analyst type role preferred.
- Must be able to independently negotiate transactions totaling hundreds of millions of dollars on an annual basis.
- Previous direct gas buying/trading experience is desired.
- Experience in the use of financial hedging instruments is preferred.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations || 25215:Gas Supply & Planning || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 18645
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segment: Gas, Procurement, Retail Sales, Law, Risk Management, Energy, Operations, Retail, Legal, Finance