The Analytics team is primarily responsible for providing analysis of oil and products markets to the trading and origination teams within North America (OA). Research performed by the group provides commercial value by delivering insight to traders in regard to underlying market fundamental dynamics and associated risks. We provide a deep market understanding across all products traded in OA (Oil, Products, Emissions and Biofuels), as well as diverse geographical market knowledge. Our analytics is highly commercial and should drive trading strategies and strategic opportunities both short and long term. We are looking for a Head of Market Analysis in Chicago who will lead this activity. The position will report to the London-based Global Head, Oil Market Analysis and will participate in the OA leadership team.
In this role the HMA will lead and manage the Analytics team in Chicago, overseeing and progressing the development of the analytical capabilities embedded in the benches, the central and long-term analytics teams. The successful candidate will also engage in the broader efforts of IST’s Trading Analytics leadership team, participating in actions to build and enhance connectivity across the wider business’s analytical teams and development of the discipline (including talent renewal initiatives). The Head of Market Analysis is an acknowledged expert in analytics, with significant prior experience as an analyst and strong technical knowledge of oil market economics and experience in an oil industry and trading environment.
- Conceptualization, design, implementation and improvement of analytical tools and models to aid in the understanding of complex market dynamics in real time
- Derivation of market insight from available market information and analytical tools, leading to superior trading strategies and competitive business advantage
- Effective and timely communication of analytical results to the team and front office staff, displaying the ability to both defend the results and incorporate relevant feedback
- Research underlying fundamental supply & demand drivers of market price dynamics in appropriate detail
- Evaluate historical pricing relationships with respect to location differentials, product differentials, temporal spreads and develop credible and trusted views of future trend
- Efficiently manage available market information
- Coordination of analytical efforts with other analytics teams to provide a global market perspective and look for synergies and efficient utilization of resources
- Recruiting and developing Analytics team members to deliver best-in-class support for commercial activities
- Provide leadership, vision and challenge in terms of research ideas and performance objectives for the Chicago-based Analytics team
- Proactively support trading in understanding market dynamics and potential outcomes
- Guide the central team to combine long-term forecasts of prices, differentials and arbs to help with long term planning, generate investment ideas and appraise prospective projects for the Fuels Value Chain, origination and strategy
- Providing and appraising long-term price projections for origination in the absence of appropriate forward curves
- Seeking and delivering continuous improvement and innovation in analytical approaches and methodologies
- Challenging and validating modelling approaches via back-testing and conducting research studies of price dynamics in the real vs. modelled world
- Improving research quality by fostering dialogue with front- and mid-office staff, the FVC, other regions, and experts within and outside of BP, developing trading and investment recommendations based on analysis
- Setting priorities for workflow to meet response rate objectives
- Organizing and allocating resources efficiently
- Managing relationships with Trading Managers to ensure business requirements are being met
- Delivering ad hoc research and analysis
- Developing connections with Refining and Marketing, Exploration and Production, and Alternative Energy
- Graduate Degree in Economics, Finance, Engineering or equivalent industry experience preferred.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- The ideal candidate should possess a comprehensive understanding of global oil and products markets, have strong quantitative modelling skills, and possess deep experience in the analysis of energy markets
- Highly skilled in market analysis including an in-depth understanding of analytical tools generally utilized in analysis of the energy markets including linear programming and econometric estimation
- Extensive experience in leading an analytical/research function within a fast-paced, dynamic energy trading environment
- Possess a strong practical knowledge of the dynamics of the oil market supply chain, and of energy pricing (principally oil markets)
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills and comfortable working in a team environment under pressure to deliver trading performance. Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to engage with Senior Leaders in strategic conversations.
- An experienced and accomplished presenter.
- Commercial focus and reputation for commercial delivery
- Demonstrated leadership capability is key to manage a team of professionals in the region
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location):
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications:
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Global Oil Americas is active across a spectrum of physical (crude and refined products) and financial commodities.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.