Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.Do you have a passion for learning and understanding the relationship between different markets, macroeconomics, and commodities? Alcoa Corporation is currently seeking a Market and Trading Analyst to join the Trading Desk based in Knoxville, TN. As a Market and Trading Analyst at Alcoa you will work on in depth analysis on aluminum global trade flows and the associated financial impacts of constantly changing commodity markets, a passion for understanding the London Metal Exchange and its relationship to physical markets, learning Alcoa’s price exposures, and assisting in developing strategies to manage commodity price risk. You must work closely across the organization to understand exposures and how to manage them through approved trading programs. Trading experience is not required, but you should have a strong underlying passion for learning and understanding the relationship between different markets, macroeconomics, and commodities. This position is fast paced and is responsible for providing price information and market intelligence throughout Alcoa as it relates to metals, energy, and regional premiums.
The primary goal of this position is to help minimize profit/loss risks associated with commodity price volatility, conveying market intelligence to leadership, and acting as a liaison between the Company and the market. Working closely across the organization you will gain an understanding of exposures and how to manage them through approved trading programs. You will have responsibility for providing price information and market intelligence to various functions across Alcoa as it relates to metals, energy, and regional premiums.
Key responsibilities and characteristics include:
- Developing views on global trade flows through financial analysis and supply chain optimization to create market views and strategies to maximize profits
- Must be a self-starter who enjoys identifying opportunities for improvement and proactively seeks a solution with a genuine curiosity of global commodity markets
- Learning (and ultimately leading) the execution of all approved hedging programs on the London Metal Exchange.
- Maintaining all trading policies and procedures
- Reviewing and understanding Business Units hedge positions
- After a training period, be able to provide guidance related to commercial pricing matters, both in specific instances and overall price risk management, to various individuals in purchasing, sales, and management functions of the business.
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Acting as key interface between IT and the trading desk to ensure systems meet required functionality
- Preparing daily, weekly and monthly reports to Sr. Executive leadership providing insight into market activity and impacts on aluminum markets
- Ability and initiative to take the lead on complex problems or assignments and drive a timeline through completion of a finished product (presentation, strategy, execution, etc.).
- Participating in monthly credit calls to review counterparty credit exposure risks and any potential impact to trading activities.
- Serving as liaison with other groups within Alcoa including Commercial, Finance, Treasury, Transportation, and IT
- Ability to manage frequently high-pressure situations that require quick resolution
- Ensuring audit preparedness and readiness with regards to Sarbanes Oxley and internal audit requirements
- Preparing and presenting hedge training and market updates, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics or related
- Providing answers to complex questions which could have multiple outcomes. Candidate should feel comfortable driving the process with little guidance on a day to day basis.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to work effectively with counterparties to meet various and sometimes conflicting perspectives
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to take large amounts of data, develop a market view, and display in concise story using PowerPoint
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Basic understanding of trading instruments.