Position: Market Reporter, Crudel
Location: Houston, TX
Reporting Relationship: Editor
Argus is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information to the energy industry. Argus benchmarks are used globally throughout the energy sector for formula pricing in contracts, as a taxation reference, in investment planning and for a variety of other purposes.
Argus is seeking a Crude Oil Reporter to join its Houston bureau. The position will involve analyzing spot markets, writing daily/weekly news articles and networking with contacts in the energy trading industry. The ideal candidate is innately curious and personable, able to quickly become a subject matter expert and lead coverage within a designated product portfolio. The Crude Oil Reporter will apply and develop skills in daily news reporting, market analysis, features, and editorials, in a fast-paced environment with the highest standards of journalistic independence and integrity. There are opportunities to travel and present papers at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions.
- Developing and maintaining rapport with key contacts and liaising on a daily basis with industry stakeholders (traders, brokers and other participants) to collect bids, offers, and deals.
- Working with the daily report editor to assess petroleum prices based on collected data, adhering to rigorous Argus methodology and compliance standards.
- Writing daily market commentary, analysis, and industry news stories adhering to strict deadlines.
- Maintaining existing databases and building new databases for designated products.
- Developing new contacts and relationships within the petroleum markets, attending industry events, and reaching out to market participants to further develop Argus’ Petroleum business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The legal authorization to work in the US for any US employer.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, economics, business, history or relevant field.
- Demonstrated goal-oriented collaboration skills, with strong diplomatic and problem solving ability.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a professional publishing capacity or in an analyst role.
- A basic understanding of markets.
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and completing all writing within established deadlines.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with particular experience in Excel.
- The willingness and ability to travel up to 15% of the time in order to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
- Demonstrable interest in global business and politics
- Self-motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
- Ability to think analytically
- Strong reporting and writing skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on a tight daily deadline
- Experience covering physical energy markets is a plus
Argus is an independent media organisation with almost 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets, and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic.
- Competitive salary
- Group medical, dental and vision plans
- Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 6% company match
- 15 vacation days your first year, which increases up to 25 days
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled