Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, with more than 33,000 employees and contractors worldwide, and one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies based on equity market capitalization. The company’s Midstream and Marketing subsidiary gathers, processes, transports, stores, purchases and markets oil, condensate, natural gas liquids, natural gas, carbon dioxide and power.
Occidental’s greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. Occidental Midstream and Marketing is looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Portfolio Management Analyst based in Houston, Texas.
The role is a front office position within the marketing organization that is responsible for the monitoring and tracking of physical commodity trading obligations and associated paper positions to ensure accurate reporting of volumetric price exposure during the trading day to facilitate the management of price risk by individual traders as well as group exposures. The position works closely with Traders, Schedulers and Product Control Analyst. Supporting an effective and efficient control environment, ensuring positions are monitored throughout the trading day and appropriate future positions are maintained (tagged) to support the delivery of accurate and timely position reporting. The Portfolio Management Analyst works with team members from Trading, Scheduling, Accounting, Product Control and Analysis to resolve discrepancies and improve deal capture system accuracy in alignment with corporate and Market Risk policies and guidelines.
- The ability to analyze a trade and identify the unique market risks in pricing, delivery, and physical asset
- An understanding of how to represent those risks against market indices
- Insight into how to dis-aggregate the risk from its originating trade, transfer it between books, and report it with similar risks
- Interface with Risk and Accounting to address questions and discrepancies Work with Excel and relational databases to manage a trading risk application by:
- Effectively using the application to extract information from ETRM (Energy
- Trading and Risk Management)
- Assigning the correct pricing methods and market exposure indices to the trades
- Maintaining cross-reference master data links between the risk model and ETRM
- Liaising with trading and scheduling to ensure correct program management processes and the capture of program change information for reporting
- Running model valuations and troubleshooting issues
- Review daily exposure, mark-to-market P/L, and physical position reports
- Ensure that model requirements are effectively represented in the ETRM (Energy Trading and Risk Management) project which will involve extensive testing
- Continuously improve processes, timeliness & accuracy of information impacting OEMI’s (Occidental Energy Marketing Inc) positions
- B.S. or B.A. in Finance, Accounting, Marketing, or Engineering
- 3-5 years experience in Commercial business including exposure to energy trading activities and related reporting/risk management
- Demonstrated fundamental understanding of market risk theory and its application in physical trading
- Strong Excel and ETRM (Energy Trading and Risk Management) systems
- Strong communication skills in order to interface with Traders
- Ability to communicate in Accounting & I.T. environment
- Strong analytical skills including ability to model unique trades, and provide value-added analytical support to the group
- Demonstrated successful experience running risk models to quantify the imbedded risks.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status