This role will optimize a large structured risk portfolio within the Power Team. This trader will provide standard pricing for customer flow business and will assist in the initial pricing of large structured deal pricing. This role will also contribute speculative trading strategies and manage additional risk outside of the structured portfolio.
Attention to detail is crucial and the candidate must be capable of working within a team, while also generating unique ideas on their own.
The preferred candidate will have a minimum 5-7 years of East Power trading experience. Ideally, the candidate will have experience with power generation asset optimization (including natural gas basis trading), load obligation optimization, strong knowledge of the physical power grid and FTR strategies. Proficiency in non-linear trading instruments is preferred, though not a fundamental requirement.
• Simulate returns of various strategies. Identify trading opportunities with asymmetric risk/return profiles.
• Coordinate with Quant Team and Structuring Team members to price complex customer risk.
• Develop expertise in modeling cross commodity correlations and relationships.
• Provide support to business development, supply and marketing teams.
• Execute speculative trading strategies.
• Optimize the existing portfolio of load, generation and other instruments in the front six months of the curve.
• Bachelor’s degree required. For internal candidates, ATC pass.
• Excellent integrity and character
• Strong analytical skills, commercial mindset and attention to detail
• Demonstrated knowledge of regulatory environment and processes.
• Knowledge of eastern power markets.
• Self-starter, independent thinker and willingness to develop solutions and opportunities proactively.
• Strong communications skills (written and verbal).
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize independently
• Willingness to be available on weekends and after-hours to address customer / other issues that may come up.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Energy marketing and trading offers customers a unique combination of physical expertise, financial structures, geographic scope and creative solutions.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.