NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
- The Real-Time Operations Dispatcher role will work inside the NRG NERC-qualified trade floor and is responsible for the monitoring of grid conditions, dispatching & monitoring of generation resources and providing event forecasting and analytics reporting.
- This job description reflects an assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Other duties and tasks may be assigned to this job at the Company's discretion.
- Manage the real-time operations of NRG’s asset portfolio, including dispatching generation based upon economic conditions and operational constraints, developing load forecasts, tracking real time load, as applicable, performing retail load portfolio optimization, and purchasing or selling energy and capacity as needed.
- Take or direct timely and appropriate real-time actions in accordance with ISO procedures.
- Coordinate unit availability, outage schedules, unit startup and shutdown times, and communicate all necessary information to plant personnel, ISOs, and day-ahead traders
- As Real-Time Operations Dispatcher, have the responsibility and authority to implement real-time actions to ensure the stable and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System.
- Communicate with Balancing Authorities, Reliability Coordinators, Transmission Operators and ISO on continual basis, taking necessary actions and providing ancillary services to ensure system reliability.
- Must comply with applicable NERC Reliability Standards and regional ISO rules and tariffs.
- Monitor and analyze available market information to identify dispatching and trading opportunities
- Manage dispatching and trading decisions with a continuous focus on balancing risk versus return to produce maximum profitability.
- Analyze and evaluate energy transactions to ensure that all relevant aspects including energy price, transmission, counter party, and contractual terms are compliant with NRG’s Risk Management Policy.
- Must complete necessary NERC or ISO certification and continuing education requirements as applicable
- The role will require working outside of normal business hours
- Must be able to work a rotating shift on a 24-hour operational schedule (However, during the initial training phase, which may last up to 2 months, the hours will be 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.)
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience or equivalent military experience.
- Intermediate proficiency of Microsoft Excel and the Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be available to fulfill storm/event duty requirements, which may include reporting to work during winter storms or other possible catastrophic events and working extended shifts as necessary until storm or event conditions reside
- Proven ability to think critically and provide leadership in fast-paced, hectic environments
- Proven ability to make creative, logical, solution-based decisions in the absence of direct supervision
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to manage high-stress situations calmly and effectively
- Previous Energy industry experience, but not required
- NERC or PJM certification is a plus (candidate must complete certification within 12 months of hire)
- Prior experience working in one or more of the following markets (but not required):
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work well under pressure, remaining focused and calm in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work without supervision while carrying out duties
- Ability to handle multiple tasks or assignments at the same time
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team environment
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem resolution skill
- Organized, task-oriented, and strong attention to detail
- Competence in mathematics and technical concepts
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources