Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, with more than 33,000 employees and contractors worldwide, and one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies based on equity market capitalization. The company’s Midstream and Marketing subsidiary gathers, processes, transports, stores, purchases and markets oil, condensate, natural gas liquids, natural gas, carbon dioxide and power.
Occidental’s greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. Occidental Midstream and Marketing is looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Trade/Portfolio Analyst based in Houston, Texas.
The role is a front office position within the marketing organization that is responsible for the monitoring and tracking of physical commodity trading obligations and associated paper positions to ensure accurate reporting of volumetric price exposure during the trading day to facilitate the management of price risk by individual traders as well as group exposures. The position works closely with Traders, Schedulers and Product Control Analyst. Supporting an effective and efficient control environment, ensuring positions are monitored throughout the trading day and appropriate future positions are maintained (tagged) to support the delivery of accurate and timely position reporting. The Position Keeper works with team members from Trading, Scheduling, Accounting, Product Control and Analysis to resolve discrepancies and improve deal capture system accuracy in alignment with corporate and Market Risk policies and guidelines.
- Accountable for the reporting of aggregate physical and paper exposures to support the management of the desired price risk profile of the trading organization.
- Monitoring the activity of multiple traders and schedulers and the tracking of physical and paper activity and positions to support trading decisions
- Accountable for accuracy of data in Trade Capture system
- Maintain and generate daily reports that reflect this activity for the Trading Manager and individual traders
- Creating and managing the daily transactional inputs (external trades and any “in house” deals required to balance strategies)
- Coordinating and liaising with traders, schedulers, and Product Control to ensure timely and accurate trade entry and that the system of record is as up to date as possible
- Coordinate with Finance on questions required to account for or analyze the business correctly
- Assist and work on other responsibilities and tasks as needed
- B.S. or B.A. in Finance, Accounting, Marketing, or Engineering
- 3-5 years experience in Commercial business including exposure to energy trading activities and related reporting/risk management
- 3-5 years’ experience with financial products/contracts used in commodity trading and risk management (swaps, options, futures and forwards)
- Strong system aptitude with advanced skills in MS Excel and MS Access
- Solid understanding of risk management methodologies and financial analysis
- Preferred familiarity with trade capture systems used by the organization (Allegro)
- Strong analytical skills to derive and explain anomalies in data
- Documentation skills to record and report on findings to the business
- Detail-oriented with emphasis on accuracy and continual improvement
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven written & verbal communication abilities
- Self-motivated and able to manage time with competing priorities and minimal supervision
- Ability to work with and be part of several different teams in an open, trade floor environment
- Ability to adjust personal schedule to meet requests on short notice
- Ability to perform under pressure with daily deadlines and deliverables
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status