OVERVIEW AND POSITION SUMMARY:
Seeking a highly motivated individual to join the MPC Natural Gas & Power team with a focus on commercial arrangements, commodity trading and opportunities regarding natural gas, electricity and steam for MPC’s refining, logistics, gas processing and cogeneration facilities. The position actively assists and supports organization goals, execution, evaluation, business development and strategy development.
This position executes trades for natural gas primarily for the company’s physical requirements and associated pipeline and storage arrangements; and utilizes physical and financial trading to support operations, manage budget exposures, and identify and capture market opportunities. The position evaluates, develops, implements and manages nat. gas and electricity related supply/sales arrangements. The position effectively liaises with other components of the company and the affected business units to assist in development and delivery of critical knowledge to optimize processes, performance and value capture.
- Supports and executes the buy, sell and commercial management requirements for the supply of natural gas for major MPC facilities.
- Supports and executes the buy, sell and commercial management requirements for the supply and sale of electricity for MPC facilities associated with owned and 3rd party power and steam generation.
- Develops and executes nat. gas trading within established risk limits to meet gain and loss targets.
- Creates trade positions to capture synergies and capitalize on market opportunities.
- Coordinates with Scheduling staff to provide information and monitor product scheduling, pipeline movements and associated balancing activities.
- Identifies and implements cost effective pipeline transport and storage arrangements.
- Cultivates and sustains relationships with producers, trading companies and key LDC utilities.
- Develops and maintains nat. gas and electricity market intelligence. Monitors and forecasts conditions impacting local markets, pipelines, competitors, supply, demand, prices, and transportation and distribution costs.
- Develops strong business cases by identifying, obtaining and evaluating relevant information in support of energy supply and sales efforts, reliability and other commercial optimization efforts.
- Develops, monitors and reports on metrics applicable to sourcing efforts, supply related activities, supply reliability and commercial optimization efforts.
- Performs thorough economic analyses, modeling and financial evaluation of opportunities.
- Develops, identifies and evaluates commercial, risk mitigation, financial and communication processes to assess for applicability within MPC; to minimize risk and maximize value.
- Maintains a strong proficiency in and updates portions of information and knowledge repositories and processes. Provides guidance to others in administrative reporting, planning and budgeting preparations related to energy related activities.
- Actively monitors and participates in energy related industry groups and relevant regulatory activities that may have an impact on MPC’s business; with close interaction with Government Affairs staff.
- Maintains a subject matter expert knowledge of contracting tools, their application and interpretation; and is a key resource for contract development and management related activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or equivalent a plus.
- Minimum 7 years of energy related experience, with direct exposure to commodities trading and/or energy management, preferable with natural gas and/or electricity. Experience with contract development and energy related transactions preferred.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC) is a large-scale geographically-diversified and highly -integrated refining, marketing and midstream company. MPC is the nation's largest refiner, with a crude oil refining capacity of more than 3 million barrels per calendar day in its 16-refinery system. MPC's high-quality, nationwide retail and marketing business includes approximately 3,900 company-owned and -operated stores and 7,800 branded locations. MPC owns the general partners of MPLX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, two strong, customer-focused midstream master limited partnerships.
Job Function: Corp Functions
Travel Expected: Up to 25%
If you have visited our site in search of information on U.S. employment opportunities and require an accommodation to submit your application, please contact the MPC EEO/Compliance Office at 866-492-7802. Note that we only accept resumes and applications for posted positions.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP (“MPC”) is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status or other legally protected status.