The Market Analyst provides market fundamentals, short/medium term supply/demand analysis, and trader support for the trading function globally. In addition, this position will support ad hoc requests from Commercial Senior Management, Commercial groups, Chief Economist, Investor Relations, and Downstream. In this role, Market Analysts develop a strong understanding of commodity pricing, including location spreads, time spreads, crack spreads, commodity spreads, forward curves and seasonality.
Responsibilities may include :
- Understanding of key global trading positions at all times and coordinating with traders and trade managers to ensure that all aspects of a position are understood.
- Developing and maintaining supply and demand models. This will involve working closely with trading to understand the market and trends, incorporate downtime, seasonal cycles, macroeconomic variables and utilizing import/export data to ensure model accuracy and acceptance by trading organization.
- Identifying market anomalies and communicating potential physical and forward market impacts to trading organization.
- Providing market analytical support for Commercial by using supply and demand modeling and macro-economic data to develop a medium term (6-12months) view of the market.
- Drawing on fundamental and technical data as appropriate to develop forward global market view predictive models.
- Working with 3rd party consultants and brokers to understand and evaluate their views on commodity movements and factor those into development of P66 market view.
- Communicating external study results and market views to assist traders with successful implementation of trading strategies.
- Understanding and communicating geopolitical and regulatory events/factors which may impact price movements.
- Providing support to information gathering process and developing presentation packages as needed.
- Sharing knowledge freely and improving peer group understanding of own niche markets
- Driving improvement of existing forecast models.
- Providing support to ad-hoc projects and analysis around market fundamentals (including infrastructure changes) to support trade ideas.
- Gaining consensus and trust across multiple functional areas within and external to Commercial to build a common vision and direction.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 3 or more years of experience in Commercial, Trading or other relevant energy industry experience
- Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, or Economics
- Intermediate level of proficiency coding in Visual Basic
- Intermediate level of proficiency in SQL, Tableau, Python, and/or R
- Intermediate level of proficiency with statistical modeling software, Access or other database software, and economic model development
- Working knowledge of Commercial Trading businesses
- Working knowledge of broader commodity markets (Crude, Gasoline, Distillates)
- Working knowledge of global commodity trading
- Working knowledge of refining/petrochemicals
At Phillips 66, while "what" we do may be very different from person to person, there's a "how" that connects all of us. It is how we work, how we collaborate and how we succeed together. It's this shared "how" that our competency framework describes in detail. We call it the Keys to Success because it can unlock the potential within us all.
Keys to Success
- Prof: Adaptability—Demonstrate Adaptability And Learning
- Prof: Building Collaborative Relationships—Build Partnerships
- Prof: Communication—Communicate Professionally
- Prof: Judgment—Exercise Professional Judgment
- Prof: Results Orientation—Optimize Results
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company's master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,500 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $52 billion of assets as of March 31, 2018. For more information, visit www.phillips66.com or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co at https://twitter.com/phillips66co .
To be considered
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of April 22, 2019 .
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 50521
Location: United States - Texas - Houston
Job Field: Trading