NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Job Summary: The Vice President, Trading will report to the Executive Vice President of Operations and will be responsible for optimizing the Company’s positions surrounding generation assets and retail obligations. This person will manage a team of Portfolio Directors and Traders from our corporate headquarters in Princeton, NJ. This should be a high integrity, speak truth to power, even keel under pressure, quick minded, open minded individual well versed in both retail and wholesale markets.
- Continuously optimize the value of NRG assets
- Oversee trading and hedging strategies for physical and financial energy and related products in all trading markets
- Collaborate with the Retail business function to ensure that trading activities align with load, customer demand, etc.
- Oversee Retail supply while integrating the wholesale and retail desks
- Collaborate with the Risk and compliance Groups to and adhere to policies, principles, procedures and execute training to minimize non-compliance and production risks in operations
- Select and replenish the team as necessary
- Oversee the Day-Ahead Bidding and Trading Strategy for generation assets, capacity, ancillaries & transmission positions
- Monitor relevant markets and maintain an acute understanding of market/price trends
- Oversight of Fuels trading (Natural Gas & Coal) including Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR), oil/fuel surcharges, and rail transportation, as well as gas pipelines, scheduling and budgeting
- Maintain up to date understanding of market rules
- Collaborate with senior management, operations and the power trading team to develop and execute optimization strategies
- Focus efforts on achieving high quality results with the organization’s standards
- Develop, oversee, and support various power marketing growth strategies
- Work with Commercial and Industrial (C&I) Origination team to develop and execute on an outreach plan aimed at contracting NRG’s US based assets with targeted C&I electric customers
- Collaborate with Regulatory Affairs
- Open office environment within regulated commercial operations enclosure
- Relevant Undergraduate/Graduate degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and progressive work experience in leadership roles
- Knowledge of energy contracts and energy hedge products to develop trading strategies for risk mitigation
- Demonstrated experience in the power/gas markets
- Experience working for an energy company or an energy trading company is required
- Understanding of power markets and commercial forecasting models; ability to interpret the impacts of load, weather, prices, basis, shapes, and system reliability on the output of said models
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources